Action Introductory Research

  I have decided that i will be doing an action movie. I ran through some plots that I had in mind and came to the conclusion that an action movie would be best. It would not only be the best for me but also the safest, in relation to COVID. An action movie will allow me to incorporate specific shots that I really like, and certain sounds. The action genre has many sub genres that include spy, karate, sci-fi and many more. I wont be doing a super hero or sci-fi moving because that would take a great deal of editing skills that I don't have. I think a spy movie would be best for me. 

Action films as a whole are typically face paced and high energy. A lot of them include dangerous and risky stunts, explosions, and chases. I could have a stunt in the opening but, I don't want to give away too much of the plot. In my film opening I will introduce to conflict and stimulate suspense amongst the audience. 

OVERVIEW

As previously mentioned, action movies are very engaging with their audience. The fact that the genre can consist of so many sub-genres means that there is a huge variety of plot types. Usually action movies fall into one of five plot types. Escape, revenge, assassination, oppressions, and kidnap. An escape plot is when the main character is trapped or confined to a certain place or location. They try throughout the story to break free and escape. A revenge plot is when something bad happens to the main character, and for the remainder of the movie, the character is trying to get revenge on the person or thing who caused the bad thing to happen in the first place. An assassination plot is when the main character is tracking someone down to capture them or kill them. An oppression plot is when a group of people are under the rule of stronger people and they fight against it. A movie with a kidnapping plot is when the main character or someone related to them is kidnapped. The character spends the movie either trying to escape, or trying to find the person that was kidnapped. I need to pick a plot that lets me be creative, while keeping the film believable. 

The most common and distinct aspect of an action movie is the fast pace scenes. This scenes stir emotions of suspense amongst the viewers and put them at the edge of their seat. When i create my film opening, I will focus on implementing fast paced scenes. If I don't incorporate these fast paced scenes, my movie will not feel like an action movie. 

Editing in an action movie is crucial to making the scenes fast paced. The editing goes a long way when it comes to keeping the momentum in a fast paced shot. If I were in the middle of an intense scene and I used slow transitions, the momentum of the scene will cease to exist. I have to implement quick cuts and fast pan shots in order to encapsulate the chaos within a scene. The cuts and jumps aid in building up the tension and excitement in the scene. Speed ramping is a term that means, shots are sped up or slowed down. This is a technique that builds up tension within the audience. 

Lighting and color are also extremely important in an action movie. The lighting plays a big role in setting the scene and the overall atmosphere for a shot. If the lighting is more prominent and lighter colors are used, the sequence's are typically in the day. Or in a public open space. If the lighting is darker and darker colors are more noticeable, this may show that the character is in a dark place. Or that the position in which the character is in, is being symbolized as dark by the dark colors. 

Camera shots are crucial to creating tension within action movies. Close ups can set the mood for an entire scene, and convey specific feelings to the audience. Action movies also use long shots and medium shots to help give a better perspectives to the audience. The angle can make the viewer feel as though they are watching from down below, or roof tops. The shots and angles can also make the viewer feel as though they are there next to the main character. 

If I can implement these techniques into my opening, I strongly feel that my opening will be successful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First AICE Media Studies Project Post

Types of Action characters