Genre Preliminary Discussion

  I need to choose a genre that allows me to work independently but not get exhausted while working. This is my first post for the project and I need to find a genre that uses a small amount of people. Due to COVID, I also need to choose a setting in which I am far from people. My two main genres as of right now are Horror comedy and Action. I feel like in order to make an effective opening for these, they must have suspense as well. This is because I want people to want to watch the rest of the movie. I feel like the openings for a movie in either one the genre can be limited to one or two settings. The genres can also fit to accommodate less actors. 

Like everything, there are ups and downs. Both film genres have their benefits and their cons. If I chose to do a horror comedy movie, I could film in one setting and create a suspenseful opening. However I will also have to include funny scenes. The problem with horror comedy is that it is hard to produce a good balance between the two. Either the film is too comedic and not as scary, making the scary aspects of the film seem like a joke. If the film is too funny, the scary aspects would be disregarded. On the other hand, if the film is too scary, the jokes and comedy aspects will seem awkward and out of place. The emotions felt in a horror comedy film are on two opposite sides of the spectrum. The viewers will either feel scared and timid, or at ease and happy. However, if I were to chose to do an action movie, I can set up the setting myself and also use a small amount of actors. In the opening I will introduce the audience to a small part of the plot. Although horror comedy would involve less actors and settings, it would be difficult to find the balance between the two. 

When making my final decision between these two genres, i have to consider other aspects. I have to ask myself certain question and see whether or not I will be able to complete it . Questions like, is it possible for me to find a balance between horror and comedy within my film? What certain equipment and props will I need in order to make a good film opening? The firs thing I have to do is research, I will study other films similar to the one I have in mind of making. I will see their budgets and see which methods I can incorporate in my film. I will also need to find a good location to film and a place to get all of my props. I am looking forward to coming up with answers to these questions while continuing my research. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First AICE Media Studies Project Post

Types of Action characters